Mental Health

Saturday, July 26, 2014
First I have to underline, I have only my own experience, what I have read, and some stories to base these following oppinions on, and mental health may not be relevant to your case at all. I will append this post with scientific data later if I can find any.

I just want to state this explicitly. It probably pisses you off if youre suffering from atopic eczema, but there is a connection between atopic eczema and mental health. As I have stated earlier, a lot of the methods that work for me are related to stress, and i believe that emotional factors are well as important to my eczema beeing well, as physiological factors.

When I was a teenager I had some very difficult periods, and at one point I scrathced myself bloody, making huge wounds, without even feeling ichy, just to relieve the emotional turmoil. I believe this has stuck with me somehow, even though I am a happy guy, content with my life, I take out my emotions on my skin. I believe, that for example this survey (the first one i struck on google) has not adressed the possibility of emotional turmoil significantly worsening eczema symptoms.

There was a book that i read that made me aware of this, it's called "Skin Deep", you can find it online. It's to be taken with a grain of salt though, these beliefs in psychology are very much out of date, but I think it is very relevant, and important to be aware of none the less. For example, the other day I had an argument with my father, i had just been on a run and after the argument i just went balistic on my skin, it's not deliberate, it happens automaticly when i think about things that bothers me, that i scratch. This goes back a long way for me, and I think it's a mechanism to dampen my emotions.

I hope therefore, that if you are one of those that nothing seem to work on, that you go to a professional to help sort out whatever emotions that might be provoking your eczema outbreaks. I have thought about it many times, but haven't gone yet, but if I get worse again i will definitly give it a try. If it doesn't work, well then at least I tried!

I wish you all the best,
Itchy

No comments:

Post a Comment